Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Snowman Soup

I remember, as a child, reading this poem on a tag attached to a Christmas gift of hot chocolate mix. Though I’ve since forgotten who gave me the gift, I still remember how the mug “Snowman Soup,” once prepared, not only warmed my fingers after a day playing in the snow, and warmed my body from the inside out, but how the warm sweet liquid also comforted me as it arose from someone caring about my well-being, someone wanting to put a smile on a little girl’s face. My positive feelings around the beverage were only amplified by the fact that hot chocolate is primarily composed of sugar and an invigorating rush would soon course through my veins as my body absorbed the shock of simple carbohydrates; for that reason, it was considered a treat when I was a child, and was subsequently something to savour.
This poem is over-sentimentalized, yet it reveals a popular belief that foods and beverages have the ability to influence physical and emotional well-being – if not by providing nutritional sustenance, than by making a special occasion out of breaking dietary rules, by unearthing positive mental associations, and by recalling fond memories of the past.


"Was told you've been real good this year
Always glad to hear it
With freezing weather drawing near
You'll need to warm the spirit
So here's a little Snowman Soup
Complete with stirring stick
Just add hot water, sip it slow
It's sure to do the trick!"
(author unknown)


Recipe:
Hot Chocolate Mix
Mini Marshmallows
Hershey Kisses
Candy Cane
- Put all ingredients into a sealable bag and give to someone you care about.

No comments:

Post a Comment