Thursday, March 12, 2009

09/03/02: Returning from the market – setting the scene

Using my elbow to close the front door behind me, I slipped off my wet shoes, used my big toe to align them at the edge of the mat, and proceeded into the kitchen. My arms were aching and I set down the bags of groceries on the counter. An involuntary sigh escaped from my lips. My shopping trip had been successful. Having set out that morning on a quest to find the finest, most unique, most characteristically local foods, I’d returned home with a multitude of treasures – as was evidenced by the imprints left on my forearms from the woven handles of the cloth bags I’d filled.

An old friend was visiting the area, and had just confirmed yesterday that she and her husband could make it for dinner tonight. I hadn’t seen her in years, and she had never been to the region before. I was excited to be reacquainted with her, yes, but perhaps just as excited to flaunt what my region has offer.

The new food-fad in Canada, much like the Slow Food movement in Italy, is to “eat local” – to celebrate the seasonal produce and culinary artisans that have come to be characteristic of an area. Tonight’s dinner was going to be the perfect “local” meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment